- Internships & Research Opportunities
- Presentation & Publication Opportunities
- Opportunity Databases
- Explore CSU-LSAMP Newsletters for Additional On- and Off-Campus Opportunities
- Archives, Communications & Curatorial Internships, Phillips Collection | Deadline ASAP
- Spring 2022 Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internships (SULI), US Dept of Energy | Deadline October 6, 2021
- Various internships, US Environmental Protection Agency | Deadlines from now until September 30th (depending on the program)
- Naval Research Enterprise Internship Program | Deadline November 1, 2021
- Visiting Scientist Program, Counterterrorism and Forensic Science Research Unit, FBI | Applications reviewed on a rolling basis
- Various Fall Internships, American Civil Liberties Union | Applications considered on a rolling basis
- Call for Papers, 12th National Conference on Earthquake Engineering | Deadline October 15, 2021
- Call for Proposals, “History Unmasked,” 2022 Virginia Forum | Deadline October 15, 2021
- Call for Abstracts (Early Submission), NCUR 2022 (National Conference on Undergraduate Research)| Deadline October 20, 2021
- Call for Proposals, International Academic Conference on the Sustainable Development Goals, Utah Valley University | Deadline November 1, 2021
- Call for Abstracts, April 2022 Technical Meeting, Rubber Division, American Chemical Society | Deadline November 6, 2021
- Call for Abstracts, 2022 Indigenous Borderlands in North America Symposium, University of New Mexico | Deadline November 10, 2021
- Call for Proposals, “Literary Geographies: Space, Place, and Environments”; Conference on Christianity and Literature, Biola University | Deadline November 15, 2021
- Call for Papers, The Undergraduate Research Journal of Psychology at UCLA | Deadline November 15, 2021
- Call for Abstracts (Regular Submission), NCUR 2022 (National Conference on Undergraduate Research)| Deadline November 19, 2021
- Call for Submissions, Second Railroads in Native America Gathering and Symposium | Deadline December 15, 2021
- Call for Papers, The Reed Undergraduate Journal of Existentialism, St. Olaf College | Deadline January 31, 2022
- Call for Papers, 2022 Virtual International Conference on Social Media and Society | Deadline January 31, 2022
- Call for Submissions, JOSHUA: Journal of Science and Health, University of Alabama | Deadline February 28, 2022
- Call for Papers, Cura Terra: Georgetown’s Undergraduate Journal of the Environment | Submissions accepted on a rolling basis
- Call for Papers, Young Journal of European Affairs, Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität Munich | Submissions accepted on a rolling basis
- Microsoft Research PhD Fellowship | Due June 30, 2021
- Brooke Owens Fellowship - designed for students who identify as a woman or another type of gender-minority and are interested in a career in any facet of the aerospace industry | Due Annually in September
- Patti Grace Smith Fellowship - designed for Black and African-American students who are looking for their first ever internship in the aerospace industry | Due Annually in November
- Matthew Isakowitz Fellowship - designed for college juniors, seniors, and graduate students in the field of commercial spaceflight | Due Annually in November
U.S. Government Research Opportunity Databases
- Department of Energy Internships: The DOE provides nationwide opportunities for research participation, fellowships, scholarships, training, and internship programs for undergraduates, grads, postdocs, and faculty.
- NASA Research Internships: NASA Internships are competitive awards to support educational opportunities that provide unique NASA-related research and operational experiences for high school, undergraduate, and graduate students, as well as educators. These opportunities serve students by integrating interns with career professionals emphasizing mentor-directed, degree-related tasks, while contributing to the operation of a NASA facility or the advancement of NASA's missions.
- National Institute of Health Summer Internship Program in Biomedical Research: Summer programs at the National Institutes of Health (NIH) provide an opportunity to spend a summer working at the NIH side-by-side with some of the leading scientists in the world, in an environment devoted exclusively to biomedical research.
- National Science Foundation Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REUs): NSF funds a large number of research opportunities for undergraduate students through its REU Sites program. Each program has a different application process. We encourage you to apply for more than one! An REU Site may be at either a US or foreign location.
- Naval Research Enterprise Intern Program (NREIP): This program provides an opportunity for students to participate in research at a Department of Navy (DoN) laboratory during the summer. The goals are to encourage participating students to pursue science and engineering careers, to further education via mentoring by laboratory personnel and their participation in research, and to make them aware of DoN research and technology efforts, which can lead to employment within the DoN.
Other Research Opportunity Databases
There are multiple other databases and resources that can connect you with programs that interest you the most. NOTE: Some opportunities in these databases are open to undocumented and DACAmented students.
- Institute for Broadening Participation – Pathways to Science
- RISE Germany: Summer Research Internships in Science and Engineering
- SACNAS Opportunities Board
- SFSU Undergraduate Internship and Research Opportunities Database
- Student Opportunity Center
- UndocuSTEM: Summer Research and Professional Development Programs for Undocumented College Students in STEM Fields
Other Summer Research Resources & Opportunities
NOTE: Some of the opportunities listed below are open to undocumented and DACAmented students.
- Astrobiology Research for Undergraduates at the SETI Institute
- Big 10 Summer Research Opportunities Program
- CAMPARE Undergraduate Research Opportunities in astronomy, physics, planetary and space science, or astrobiology | Please contact the Cal Poly CAMPARE liaison before you apply!
- The Leadership Alliance Summer Research – Early Identification Program (a consortium of universities including Stanford)
- INROADS Internship Program (research-related internships in industry)
- EuroScholars Program (research outside of the U.S.)
- STAR Research Opportunities for Future K-12 STEM Teachers
- University of Arizona Summer Research Institute (SRI)
- University of California Summer Research Opportunities Overview (for non-UC students)
- UCSF Summer Research Training Program (for non-UCSF students)
- University of Colorado Summer Multicultural Access to Research Training (SMART)